USDA says corn crop is well ahead of schedule
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has released its latest Crop Progress report.
- Eighty-five percent of the nation’s corn crop is planted and 56 percent of it has emerged. On average at this time, 75 percent of the corn crop is planted and 40 percent emerged.
- Soybean planting is at 45 percent compared with the 36 percent average. Soybean emergence is 13 percent compared with a 12 percent average.
- Forty-five percent of the winter wheat crop was rated good or excellent, which was up 1 percent from the previous week.
State by state
- In Iowa, corn planting was 92 percent compared with the 84 percent average. Emergence was 63 percent compared with the 44 percent average. Soybean planting was at 51 percent compared with a 45 percent average.
- In Illinois, corn planting was 94 percent, compared with the 82 percent average. Soybean planting was 47 percent compared with a 36 percent average.
- In Indiana, corn planting was 74 percent, compared with the 68 percent average. Soybean planting was 36 percent compared with a 38 percent average.