News about African swine fever dominated the animal feed industry in May.
1. USDA: Effective vaccine for ASF could be eight years out
The complex nature of the African swine fever virus (ASF) has left the pork industry dealing with numerous unknowns, and it could be years before researchers are able to answer all their questions, USDA Undersecretary Greg Ibach told U.S. lawmakers.
2. New African swine fever outbreaks in Asia, Africa, Europe
Further outbreaks of African swine fever (ASF) have been confirmed in domestic pigs in Cambodia, China, Romania, South Africa, and Ukraine over the past week, and there are new cases in European wild boars.
3. Report: Nutreco in talks to buy CJ Cheil Jedang’s feed assets
Aquafeed producer Nutreco is in talks to buy the animal feed assets of CJ Cheil Jedang Corp., according to a Bloomberg report.
4. Trade war, ASF disrupting US soybean, pork producers
The ongoing trade war between China and the U.S., along with the outbreaks of African swine fever (ASF) in China, has huge potential to affect American soybean and pork producers, according to two economists.
5. Possible ASF vaccine tested on wild boars in Spain
A possible African swine fever vaccine (ASF) has been developed and tested in wild boars in Spain, and one of the researchers indicated it may be able to protect other pig herds.
6. Report: ASF already causing drop in animal feed demand
African swine fever (ASF) may be on the decline, but industry analysts fear the impact on related industries has only just begun.
7. Beware of animal activists posing as feed salesmen
If an unfamiliar person enters your farm and claims to be a feed company salesman, you would be wise to investigate if he is being truthful.
8. Cargill recalls Southern States feed due to mycotoxins
Cargill’s animal nutrition business is conducting a voluntary recall of select Southern States feed due to aflatoxin levels that exceed the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s action levels.
9. African swine fever hits North Korea, losses mount in Vietnam
Vietnam’s battle to bring African swine fever (ASF) under control continues, but losses are already estimated at 1.7 million animals.
10. Feed industry examines African swine fever connection, risks
African swine fever (ASF), a highly contagious and deadly porcine virus, has rapidly spread throughout all of China, parts of Southeast Asia and several European countries – devastating herds and impacting global pork markets and trade.