Topics of discussion to include future of livestock farming, consumer demands, legislation
Positioned in Hall 26 right across the DLG stand, the center will feature two daily roundtable discussions that will present opposing views of farmers and companies on animal welfare issues, and will be chaired by professionals from the animal welfare sector. These sessions organized by the DLG aim to stimulate discussions as well as provide the most up-to-date information on welfare issues facing livestock enterprises. All sessions are in German; however, information presented on boards will be in English and English-speaking experts will be on hand. Within the center, livestock exhibitors will be presenting their vision for the future, and an information gallery will provide extensive information on the topic of animal welfare.
The Animal Welfare Information Center will be staffed by experts on animal welfare issues who will be on hand to answer any queries from visitors throughout EuroTier 2012. Visitors to the center are welcome to participate in any of the roundtable discussions and pose questions on welfare issues to the staff on hand. Topics to be discussed include:
- Using and protecting animals: the future of livestock farming in Germany/Europe
- Consumer demands versus producer realities: animal welfare, environmental and consumer protection in practice
- Policy and production: drivers of structural changes in livestock
- Marketing and morality: labeling requirements for animal welfare
- Health and legislation: the use of pharmaceuticals in animal husbandry
- Volume and quality: intensive animal husbandry
- Food for the world, welfare for the animal: opportunities and issues
EuroTier 2012 will take place November 13–16, in Hanover, Germany.