Cargill has completed a $12.5 million expansion of its premix facility in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa. The expansion includes new equipment, technology and resources to increase the plant’s efficiency and improve product quality.
The facility produces poultry, ruminant, swine and pet food vitamin and mineral premix and base mix products for animal producers marketed under the Provimi brand throughout sub-Saharan Africa.
The state-of-the-art facility combines the latest feed safety technology and product quality capabilities, including automated barcode scanning and ingredient dosing. The design provides operational flexibility and minimal cross-contamination risk. The Pietermaritzburg facility positions Cargill to achieve its growth plans through increased production capacity and flexibility in product manufacturing, packaging and logistics.
“Our team of dedicated people take great pride in producing high-quality, safe animal feed products to meet our customers’ expectations,” said Gudo klein Gebbink, Cargill’s regional director for the Provimi brand in Sub-Saharan Africa. “Cargill’s resources and know-how will play an important role in strategically supporting our customers’ future growth needs through on-farm management and technical expertise.”
Following the acquisition of half the interest of joint venture partner Astral Foods, Cargill became a majority shareholder with 75 percent interest in the company in 2012 and assumed managerial control. Astral Foods owns the remaining 25 percent interest in the company.
“In addition to producing animal feed products that contribute to feeding billions of animals which ultimately reach the dinner tables of more than 1 billion people every day, our Pietermaritzburg facility employees support the local community and provide assistance to many worthy organizations,” added David Webster, president and business leader of Cargill Animal Nutrition’s premix business. “We understand how important it is to be both a viable business and a good neighbor in the community, and we work hard to fill both needs.”