Create a free Feed Strategy account to continue reading

Additional funds available for Canada feed program participants

Additional payments will be provided to eligible livestock producers already enrolled in the 2023 Canada-Saskatchewan Feed Program, which was put in place to help maintain the breeding herd in drought-impacted regions of the province.

Canada’s Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food Lawrence MacAulay and Saskatchewan Agriculture Minister David Marit announced additional payments will be provided to eligible livestock producers already enrolled in the 2023 Canada-Saskatchewan Feed Program. The program, introduced on October 20, 2023, was put in place to help maintain the breeding herd in drought-impacted regions of the province.

“These additional payments will assist livestock producers who have felt the impact of drought throughout the province,” Marit said. “The Program provides additional relief measures to offset extraordinary costs to secure feed for livestock. This is a government that will always stand up for the needs of producers and the industry as a whole.”

Initial payments were prorated to a maximum of 75% of the total payment based on the application from producers. This prorated approach ensured that all eligible producers could receive support. The outstanding total program budget allows for the remaining 25% to complement the initial payments issued to producers who applied and were deemed eligible before the deadline. Producers within the designated regions, as originally guided by the Canadian Drought Monitor map, will receive a top up of up to CAD50 (US$36.50) per head. Applicants that were in the provincial-only area will receive a top up of up to CAD20 per head.

“Drought conditions are having a serious impact on livestock producers right across Saskatchewan,” MacAulay said. “We’ll continue working closely with the province to ensure affected producers have access to the financial tools they need to protect their operations.”

Applicants were required to submit receipts or appropriate documents for the extraordinary expenses. The deadline to submit applications to the Canada-Saskatchewan Feed Program ended March 15. Saskatchewan Crop Insurance Corporation’s Feed Team will automatically reprocess all applications for producers who previously submitted applications before the deadline for funding through the Canada-Saskatchewan Feed Program. Producers should expect to receive funds in the coming weeks.

The Canada-Saskatchewan Feed Program received 3,486 applications.

Page 1 of 337
Next Page