Feed store damaged in Northern Ireland blaze

A fire damaged a distribution center for animal feed ingredients used by Devenish Nutrition.

Freefood | Freeimages.com

A major fire damaged an animal feed store in the north of Belfast last week.

More than 60 firefighters and 13 engines were needed to bring under control a fire that broke out late on November 14 at an industrial estate on Duncrue Street, Belfast. Despite abundant smoke and flames, the fire did not spread to other properties, reported Belfast Telegraph.

The facility affected was a distribution center for animal feed ingredients used by Devenish Nutrition.

The firm confirmed that none of its employees was in the warehouse at the time of the blaze. At a separate location, its production unit could continue normal operations. Customers were contacted by Devenish to ensure their orders were fulfilled.

Fire caused the high rack shelving and roof of the warehouse to collapse, according to the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service. Some of its personnel remained in site until November 18.

Cause of the blaze has been determined as accidental.

More on Devenish Group

Since its foundation in 1952 in Belfast, Devenish Feeds has been providing products and services to the Irish feed industry.

According to its website, Devenish Group consists of companies working toward improving performance and profitability for farmers. At the same time, it aims to improve the quality of meat, milk and eggs for consumers, and minimize the impact of livestock production on the environment. Its businesses include A-One in England and Denmark, Hi Peak in the U.K., and Yem-Vit in Turkey.

Just last month, Devenish Research, Development and Innovation launched a major, four-year research project exploring the links between soil, animal, human and environmental health. Collaborating with other research institutes, the HeartLand project received financial support from the European Commission.

Recent fires damage US feed facilities

In September, a blaze damaged the cooling tower of a feed mill in Barron, Wisconsin.

A food processor and one of its contractors received a fine in August for failings that led to a fire in Clinton, Iowa. As the result of an explosion in a silo in early January, one firefighter died, and another was seriously injured.

Page 1 of 39
Next Page